Alresford, a village and a parish in Essex, 5 miles SE of Colchester, under wliich there is a post office (money order and telegraph office, Wivenhoe), and a station on the G.E.R. Area, 1436 acres of land and 81 of water and foreshore ; population, 245. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £252 with residence, in the gift of Hulme's Trustees. The church is an ancient building of stone. Alresford Hall, the seat of the Hawkins family, is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alresford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alresford from the following:
Online maps of Alresford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: