Witchampton, Dorset

Historical Description

Witchampton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 5 miles NNW of Wimborne station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wimborne. Acreage, 2111; population of the civil parish, 537; of the ecclesiastical, 490. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. An old abbey cell was here, of which some interesting ruins remain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £235 with residence. The church is Decorated English, with an embattled tower, and has been restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and four almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Ecclesiastical parish Witchampton All Saints
Hundred Cranborne
Poor Law union Wimborne (1835-1836)
Poor Law union Wimborne and Cranborne (1836-)
Registration district Wimborne
Registration sub-district Wimborne

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1656. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).


Churches

Church of England

SS. Mary, Cuthberga, and All Saints (parish church)

The parish church of SS. Mary and Cuthberga and All Saints, repaired in 1832 at an expense of upwards of £5,000, by the late H. C. Sturt esq. is a large edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock dating from 1737 and 5 bells: in 1898 the church was re-seated and a new vestry added: there are 240 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Witchampton was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Witchampton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Witchampton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.