Winterbourne Anderstone, Dorset
Anderson or Winterbourne-Anderstone, a parish in Dorset, on an affluent of the river Stour, 7 miles S of Blandford, and 5 from Bailey Gate station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. Acreage, 597; population, 66. Post town, Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Bere Regis. The chief residence is Anderson House. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £90.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Anderston St. Michael|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1650. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael, having fallen into decay, was rebuilt in 1889 in the later Early English style in accordance with the original design: it consists of chancel, nave, south transept and a western turret containing 2 bells.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Anderstone from the following:
Online maps of Winterbourne Anderstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.