Winterborne Zelstone, Dorset
Winterborne Zelstone, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles WSW of Bailey Gate station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, 7 S by E of Blandford, and 7 NW of Wimborne. Post town, Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Bere Regis. Acreage, 848; population, 173. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £165. The church was rebuilt in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1835-)|
|Registration sub-district||Milton Abbas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1548. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a lofty embattled western tower containing 4 bells; it was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1866, at the expense of J. J. Farquharson esq.; and in 1905 the bells were rehung and the roof restored at a cost of £200: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Winterborne Zelston was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Online maps of Winterborne Zelstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.