Winterborne Steepleton, Dorset
Winterbourne Steepleton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles W by S of Dorchester station on the G.W.R. Post town, Dorchester. Acreage, 1831; population, 140. The living is a rectory annexed to Winterbourne Abbas. The church is a narrow building of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester (1836-)|
|Registration sub-district||Maiden Newton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The parish church of St. Michael is a long and narrow building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a tower with hexagonal spire and four pinnacles and containing one bell: the north and south doorways are Norman: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Winterbourne Steepleton was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.