Winterborne Monkton, Dorset
Winterbourne Monkton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 2 miles SSW of Dorchester station on the G.W.R. and the S.W.R. Post town, Dorchester. Acreage, 652; population, 71. An alien priory, a cell to Cluny Abbey, was founded here in the time of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is good, and was well restored in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1756. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalene (parish church)
The parish church (supposed to be dedicated o St. Mary Magdalene) is a small building of stone, originally Norman, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell with an inscription in black letters: there is a stained window and a handsome carved oak screen: the church was restored in 1878 and re-seated with open benches, at a cost of about £1,500, and has 86 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Winterborne Monkton was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterborne Monkton from the following:
Online maps of Winterborne Monkton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.