Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, Dorset
Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, a market-town and three ecclesiastical parishes, forming a seaport and municipal borough, the whole being usually known as Weymouth in Dorsetshire. The town stands on the river Wey, at its influx into Weymouth Bay, and has stations on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R., 142 miles from London, and 7 ½ S by W of Dorchester. It dates at least from the Saxon times, probably from the Roman times; was known anciently as Waimuth; was given by Henry I. to St Swithin's of Winchester, and held by the Clares; sent twenty ships in 1348 to the siege of Calais; had a great market for wool up to the time of Henry VI.; was the landing-place of Margaret of Anjou in 1471, and of Philip of Castille in 1506; contributed six ships in 1588 to the fleet against the Armada; was garrisoned for Charles I. in 1643, taken by the Parliamentarians in 1644, and vainly besieged by the Royalists in 1645. It suffered decline from the rivalry and success of newer ports; was visited for health by the Duke of Gloucester in 1780, and by George III. in 1789; came then into fashionable notice as a watering-place; acquired additional celebrity in that capacity from the exertions of Mr Allen, who is supposed to have been the original of Fielding's " Mr Allworthy;" comprises Weymouth proper on the S side of the Wey, and Melcombe Regis on the N side-a bridge over the river connecting the two places. The town sent four members to Parliament, or two for Weymouth proper and two for Melcombe Regis, from the time of Edward II. till 1832; was reduced to the right of sending only two members for both sections by the Reform Act of 1832; and was disfranchised in 1885 under the Redistribution of Seats Act. It was chartered by Elizabeth, with consolidation of the two boroughs into one, and is governed by a mayor, 8 aldermen, and 24 councillors, who act as the urban sanitary authority. The borough is divided into two wards, and includes the parishes of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, and parts of the parishes of Wyke Regis and Radipole. It is a seat of sessions and county courts, and a port; publishes three weekly newspapers; gives the title of Baron to the Marquis of Bath; and has a head post office, four banks, numerous hotels and lodging-houses, a very fine bathing-beach, public baths, a guildhall, an old town-hall, a fine market-house in the Lombardic style, a custom-house, spacious assembly-rooms, a handsome theatre, reading-rooms, two public libraries, a scientific institute, a masonic hall, an hospital, an eye infirmary, a dispensary, and a workhouse. The church of St Mary, Melcombe Regis, rebuilt in 1817, is a large but plain building of stone; in the chancel is a beautiful altar-piece, The Last Supper, painted by Sir James Thomhill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, with Radipole and Christ Church annexed; net value, £285 with residence. Christ Church is a chapel of ease to St Mary, and was erected in 1874. Holy Trinity Church, erected in 1836, is a plain building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and contains a beautiful painting by Vandyke of the crucifixion; the building was enlarged and beautified in 1887. The living is a vicarage; net value, £80 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. St John's Church was erected in 1854, and is a Gothic structure of stone with north-west tower and spire; it was restored in 1883. The living is a vicarage; gross value, £500 with residence. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Catholic chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Weymouth (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
The parish church of St. Mary, Melcombe Regis, rebuilt in 1817, is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, west porch and a tower with cupola containing a clock, placed in 1894: the altar-piece is a painting of "The Last Supper," by Sir James Thornhill kt. who for some years represented this borough in Parliament: the church affords 2,300 sittings, 500 being free.
The registers of the mother church of St. Mary, Radipole, date from 1560, and those of St. Mary, Melcombe Regis, from 1603.
Christ Church, a chapel of ease to St. Mary's, and erected in 1874, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with spire, containing a clock and 10 bells, the gift of Sir Henry Edwards, late M.P. for the borough: there are 450 sittings.
Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1836 from the parish of Wyke Regis: the church, erected at the sole expense of the late Rev. George ChamberIaine, of Wyke Regis, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, east and west transepts, but has no tower: in the chancel is a painting of "The Crucifixion: " the font is of veined alabaster and Devonshire marble, and there are several stained windows: the church was restored and enlarged in 1887, and in 1891 an iron chancel screen was erected: the pulpit of alabaster, presented in 1905, is a memorial to Hugh Speke esq. : there are 900 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1854.
St. Nicholas, a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity, in the Buxton road, is an iron structure, consisting of chancel, nave and a turret containing one bell: there are 200 sittings.
St. John's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1856 from the parishes of Melcombe Regis and Radipole: the church, opened in 1854, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, west and south porches and a north-west tower with spire, containing one bell: there are several stained windows, and a reredos of Caen stone, erected in 1883: in 1906 a memorial brass was erected to the late Canon John Stephenson M.A. vicar 1854-1905, and in the same year £1,600 was expended on the church and vicarage: the church affords 950 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1855.
Weymouth and Melcombe Regis were in Weymouth Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weymouth and Melcombe Regis from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.