West Stafford, Dorset

Historical Description

Stafford, West, a parish, with a village, in Dorsetshire, 3 miles S by E of Dorchester station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Dorchester; money order and telegraph office, Dorchester. Acreage, 1015; population, 206. Stafford House is the seat of the Floyer family. The living is a rectory, with Frome Billet annexed, in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £280 with residence. The church is ancient.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Hundred Culliford Tree
Poor Law union Dorchester (1836-)
Registration district Dorchester
Registration sub-district Puddletown

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).


Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The parish church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a small embattled western tower containing 3 bells: on the north side of the chancel is a tomb with recumbent effigy to the late Rev. Canon Reginald Southwell Smith M.A. rector here 1836-96. The pulpit, screen and altar rail are Jacobean, the chandelier is Georgian: over the porch is the date 1645, in which year it was rebuilt: the church was thoroughly restored and the chancel enlarged in 1897-8: there are 150 sittings.


Civil Registration

West Stafford was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Stafford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of West Stafford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.