Tincleton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 2 miles N of Moreton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ E by N of Dorchester. Post town, Dorchester. Acreage, 900; population of the civil parish, 160; of the ecclesiastical, 328. Clyffe is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Woodsford, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was erected in 1851.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1610. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist (parish church)
The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1841, is an edifice of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and a western turret containing a clock and 2 bells: a reredos was erected in 1889 by Mrs. Porcher, in memory of Charles Porcher esq. of Clyffe, and there is a memorial window in the chancel, to Vice-Chancellor Sir Richard Torin Kindersley kt. (d. 1879), placed by E. L. Kindersley esq. of Clyffe: there are 175 sittings. Lord Herschell P.C., G.C.B. lord high chancellor 1886 and 1892-95, who died at Washington U.S.A. March 1, was buried here March 22, 1899.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tincleton was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tincleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tincleton)
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Tincleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.