Tarrant Rawston, Dorset
Tarrant Rawston, a parish in Dorsetshire, 3 ½ miles E by N of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. Post town, Blandford. Acreage, 697; population, 49. The living is a rectory, annexed to Tarrant Rushton, in the diocese of Salisbury.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tarrant-Rawston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1815. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is a small edifice of flint and stone, possessing no architectural pretensions, and consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and south porch, without either tower or spire, but having a bell chamber over the porch containing one bell: there are 90 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Rawston was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Rawston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Tarrant Rawston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.