Tarrant Hinton, Dorset
Tarrant Hinton, a parish in Dorsetshire, 5 miles NNE of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. It has a post and money order office under Blandford; telegraph office, Tarrant Gunville. Acreage, 2321; population, 213. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £286 with residence. Patron, Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church is in the Perpendicular style. Roman remains have been found in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1545. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, nave of three bays with south aisle and small two-storied annexe with priest's chamber, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, one of which, said to have been found in a neighbouring field during the Commonwealth, has an ancient Latin inscription: on the north side of the chancel is an Easter sepulcre of the reign of Henry VIII. with a Latin inscription: in the south aisle is a Norman piscina: the font of Purbeck marble is also Norman: in 1891-2 the church was thoroughly restored, new roofed and reseated at a cost of £850, under the direction of Mr. A.W.N. Burder, architect, of Loughborough, and was reopened on St. Thomas' day, 1892: there are 150 sittings.
There is a list of rectors from 1314.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Hinton was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Hinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton, Tarrant)
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Tarrant Hinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.