Tarrant Gunville, Dorset

Historical Description

Tarrant Gunville, a parish, with three tithings, in Dorsetshire, 5 miles NE by N of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Blandford. Acreage, 3469; population, 369. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £345 with residence. Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Ecclesiastical parish Tarrant-Gunville St. Mary
Hundred Cranborne
Poor Law union Blandford (1835-)
Registration district Blandford
Registration sub-district Blandford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1719. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1845: the organ was the gift of the Rev. W. H. Hitchcock M.A. rector 1889-1900: there are 370 sittings, 288 being free.


Civil Registration

Tarrant Gunville was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tarrant Gunville from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tarrant Gunville are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Eastbury
Gunville
Stubhampton


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.