Stockwood, a parish in Dorsetshire, 2 miles from Evershot station on the G.W.R. Post town, Dorchester; money order office, Melbury Osmond; telegraph office, Evershot. Acreage, 698; population, 49. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is a building of stone, and is reputed to be the smallest parish church in England. There is a peculiar Grecian bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sherborne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
St. Edwold (parish church)
The parish church of St. Edwold, one of the smallest churches in England its dimensions being 30 feet long by 12 feet 8 inches wide, is a building of stone with a western turret containing one bell.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Stockwood was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stockwood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Stockwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.