Stock Gaylard, Dorset
Stock Gaylard, a parish in Dorsetshire, 5 miles W by S of Sturminster. The nearest railway station is Stalbridge on the Somerset and Dorset railway. Post town, Sturminster; telegraph office, Caundle Bishop. Population, 56. For parish council purposes it is united with Lydlinch, which has a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £130 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1885 on the site of the old one, and is a stone building in the Gothic style. Stock House is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sturminster (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1567. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Barnabas (parish church)
The parish church of St. Barnabas, standing in the grounds of Stock House, was entirely rebuilt on the site of the old church and in the same form, by the Yeatman family, in memory of Harry Farr and Emma Yeatman, his wife, and was re-opened 23rd April, 1885, by the Right Rev. Bishop Kelly D.D. acting as commissioner for the bishop of the diocese: it is of stone in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: beneath a recessed Gothic arch on the south side of the nave is a monument with recumbent effigy in armour, supposed to represent Sir Ingelramus le Waleys Knt. who died about 1275: there are sittings for 60 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Stock Gaylard was in Sturminster Registration District from 1837 to 1884
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stock Gaylard from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
At some point between 1881 and 1891 Stock Gaylard ceased to be a civil parish, and became a hamlet of Lydlinch. It continued as an Ecclesiastical parish.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.