Moor Crichel, Dorset

Historical Description

Critchell-Moore, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the Roman road from Old Sarum, 6 miles SW of Cranbome, and 6 from Wimborne station on the L. & S.W.R. It includes the hamlet of Manswood, and has a post office under Wimbome ; money order and telegraph office, Witchampton. Acreage, 1991; population, 407. Critchell-Moore House is the seat of Lord Alington. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Long Critchell, in the diocese of Salisbury; joint aet value, £174: with residence. Patron, Lord Alington. The church has monuments of the Uredales and others, and is good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Hundred Badbury
Poor Law union Cranborne (1835-1836)
Poor Law union Wimborne and Cranborne (1836-)
Registration district Wimborne
Registration sub-district Cranborne

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1664. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary, situated in the north-east corner of Critchel House, is of stone in the Italian style, and was entirely rebuilt in 1850 by the late H.C. Sturt esq. at a cost of upwards of £10,000: it consists of chancel, nave and transepts, the north transept being occupied by Lord Alington's household; adjoining the vestry is the family vault of the Sturt family; there are some ancient tombs, one of which, on the north side of the chancel, is to William Cyfrewast, d. May 26, 1581: there is also a fine brass, removed from the old church, some modern brasses, stained windows, a brass choir screen, Caen stone pulpit, and a reredos of carved and gilded mahogany: the church was decorated and furnished by Lord Alington at a cost of £2,000, and affords 200 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Moor Crichel was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Moor Crichel from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Moor Crichel are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Manswood


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.