Minterne Magna, Dorset
Mintern Magna, a parish in Dorsetshire, at the source of the river Cerne, 2½ miles N of Cerne Abbas, and 5 E by N of Evershot station on the G.W.R., with a post office under Cerne; money order and telegraph office, Cerne. It includes the hamlets of Hartley and Tiley, and the tithing of Middlemarsh. Acreage, 2206; population, 339. The parish council consists of seven members. Mintern House is the seat of Lord Digby. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £100 with residence. Patron, Lord Alington. The church of St Andrew has been restored, has a tower, and contains monuments to the Napiers and Churchills.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cerne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1635. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The parish church of St. Andrew is a plain building of stone, In the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 tubular bells: the chancel and north aisle were restored by the late H. C. Sturt esq.: in 1894 the tower was restored and heightened, and in 1897 the church was entirely reseated in oak and 3 stained windows erected as memorials to the late Hon. Theresa Digby: there is also a memorial window, erected in 1896: to Lady Caroline Kerrison: there are 170 sittings.
St. Andrew, Minterne Magna
St. Andrew, Minterne Magna
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Minterne Magna was in Cerne Registration District from 1837 to 1838, Dorchester Registration District from 1838 to 1949, and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Minterne Magna from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Minterne Magna are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.