Melcombe Horsey, Dorset
Melcombe Horsey or Melcombe Bingham, a parish in Dorsetshire, 10 miles WSW of Blandford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 10 NE by N of Dorchester. It contains part of the hamlet of Hartsfoot Lane, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Melcombe Bingham under Dorchester. Acreage, 2157; population, 182. Melcombe Bingham belonged to the Turbervilles, from whom it passed to the Binghams. Sir Richard Bingham, who was at the siege of St Quintin, was born here. Nettlecombe Tout, a hill in the W of the parish, which commands a fine and extensive view, was formerly a British encampment. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £270 with residence. The church dates from the early part of the 13th century and has a low tower. Henry Chichele, archbishop of Canterbury, was one of the former rectors of the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Melcombe-Horsey St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Cerne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1690. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The parish church of St. Andrew is a small building in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, two chantries or transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: there are some interesting fragments of ancient glass and monuments to the families of Bingham and Horsey: the church affords 180 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Melcombe Horsey was in Cerne Registration District from 1837 to 1838, Dorchester Registration District from 1838 to 1937, and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Melcombe Horsey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Melcombe-Horsey (St. Andrew))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.