Maiden Newton, Dorset

Historical Description

Maiden Newton, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands on the river Frome, and has a station on the G.W.R., 7 ½ miles NW of Dorchester, and 145 from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, was once a market-town, and has fairs on 9 March and 4 May. A cattle sale is held on alternate Mondays. Acreage of parish, 2893; population, 694. Ironfounding and brewing are carried on.Some Roman tessellated pavement was found on the S border near the end of the 18th century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £390 with residence. The thurch is Norman; consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, and transept, with a central embattled tower; and is in good condition. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Ecclesiastical parish Maiden-Newton St. Mary
Hundred Tollerford
Poor Law union Dorchester (1836-)
Registration district Dorchester
Registration sub-district Maiden Newton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1545. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Maiden Newton, 1556-1812 is online.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary, situated at the extreme end of the parish, is an ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, transept, south porch, and a central embattled Norman tower containing 6 bells : there are 400 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Maiden Newton was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Maiden Newton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Maiden Newton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Cruxton
Notton


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.