Lytchett Minster, Dorset
Lytchett Minster, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands at the head of Lytchett Bay, 2¼ miles from Hamworthy Junction station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 WNW of Poole, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Poole. Acreage of parish, 3325; population, 929. There is said to have been an alien priory here, which gave rise to the suffix name Minster. Much of the land is heath and waste. A large tumulus, called Lytchett Beacon, is 1½ mile NE of the village, and serves as a landmark for vessels entering Poole harbour. Potter's clay is dug from pits, and sent to Poole harbour. Lytchett Bay is a northern offshoot of Wareham harbour, about 3 miles in circuit, separated by the upper part of a small peninsula from the Holes Bay off shoot of Poole harbour. A rivulet, called the Rock Lee or Organ river, falls into the W side of Lytchett Bay, and is crossed, near, the village, by a bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £200 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is modern, is said to have been built from the materials of the old priory, and has an ancient tower. In the churchyard there are two yew trees of groat antiquity. There is a building in use by the Congregationalists and Baptists, which is called a United Independent Baptist chapel, and also Lockyer's charity for apprenticing poor boys of the parish. A Wesleyan chapel, built in 1866, is in the Pointed style, of red brick, with white stone dressings.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Sturminster Marshall|
|Poor Law union||Poole (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of marriages dates from the year 1554, baptisms 1555. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Dunstan (parish church)
The parish church, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1834, is a structure of brick in the Perpendicular style, and consists of small chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 6 bells, of which one was added to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII. and one the accession of H.M. King George V.: there is an ancient font of Purbeck marble: in the nave is a chained book: the stained windows include one given by Sir E. Lees in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee: one to Sir Elliott Lees, 1st bart. and one to his second daughter Katharine Hope Gracia Lees, who was lost in the s.s. "Waratah" : the church affords 350 sittings: in the churchyard, enlarged in 1891, are two venerable yew trees.
Lytchett Minster was in Poole Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lytchett Minster from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lytchett-Minster)
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Lytchett Minster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.