Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
Lytchett Matravers, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands on a hill, 4 miles from Hamworthy Junction station on the L. & S.W.R., 3 from Bailey Gate station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 6 ¼NW of Poole. It commands a fine view, and has a post and money order office under Poole; telegraph office at Bailey Gate station. Acreage of parish, 3413; population, 753. Under the Local Government Act, 1894, it has nine parish councillors. The manor belonged once to the Matravers family, and belongs now to the Dillon-Trenchard family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £350 with residence. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good, and contains a monument to Lord Matravers, and several other monuments. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lytchett-Matravers St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Poole (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1656. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells; a vestry and organ chamber were added in 1876 and the chancel was restored in 1873; there is a canopied altar tomb of Purbeck marble, with matrices of former brass effigies, and 4 memorial brasses, one of which is in memory of Thomas Fuller Toovey, in whose memory also the bells were rehung: one of the old brasses fixes the date of the rebuilding of the present edifice in 1505: there are 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Lytchett Matravers was in Poole Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lytchett Matravers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Lytchett Matravers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.