Lyme Regis, Dorset
Lyme Regis, a market-town, a municipal borough, and a parish in Dorsetshire. The town stands on the coast, at the mouth of the rivulet Lyme, near the boundary with Devonshire, 5 miles SE by S of Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R., and 23 W of Dorchester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The borough and parish bounds are conterminous. Acreage, 1237; population, 2365. The town was given in 774 by the king of the West Saxons to Sher-borne Abbey, was known in the Saxon times for its salt works, and figures in Domesday book as divided into three portions, belonging to respectively Glastonbury Abbey, William Belet, and the Bishop of Salisbury. It was made a borough by Edward L, and given to his sister, queen of Scotland, as part of her dower. It sent four ships to the siege of Calais in the time of Edward III., was inundated by the sea in the time of Eichard II., and was twice plundered and burnt by the French in the times of Henry IV. and Henry V. It took part with the Parliamentarians in the Civil War; withstood a siege of nearly seven weeks by Prince Maurice, and was relieved by the approach of the Earl of Essex. It was the scene of the landing of the Duke of Monmouth and of the setting up of his standard in 1685; gave him lodging during four days at the George Inn ; and was the point whence he started, with about 2000 horse and foot, on his disastrous expedition. The George Inn, with " Monmouth's room," has been taken down, but a piece of the bedstead on which he there slept is still in the possession of a resident. Twelve persons, after the overthrow of Monmouth, were executed in the town by sentence of Judge Jeffreys. The first engagement with the Spanish Armada took place in the offing in 1558, and a sea-fight between the English and the Dutch took place there in 1672. A Carmelite friary was founded in the town before 1322, and a lepers' hospital before 1336. Cosmo de Medici died here in 1669 on his visit to England. De Case, the quack and astrologer in the time of James II.; Thomas Coram, who founded the Foundling Hospital in London about 1668; Sir George Somers, who discovered the Bermudas; Arthur Gregory, who was employed by Walsingham to open the letters addressed to Mary Queen of Scots; Judge Gundry, Larkham the theologian, and Miss Mary Anning, who discovered the ichthyosaurus, the plesiosaurus, and the pterodactyle, were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lyme-Regis St. Michael the Archangel|
|Liberty||Lothers and Bothenhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1543, but breaks off for a few years from 1572, and contains numerous entries relating to the history of the church and the town. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Lyme Regis, 1654-1812 is online.
Church of England
St. Michael the Archangel (parish church)
The parish church of St. Michael the Archangel is an ancient edifice of stone, standing near the edge of some precipitous lias cliffs, and is chiefly of the late Tudor period, but has good Norman remains at the western entrance, and other work of that period, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 8 bells: the west porch was the nave of the original church: the curiously carved oak pulpit was presented by one of the merchant adventurers, 1613 A.D. and there are a number of mural monuments, several brasses and some fine stained windows: the chancel screen was erected as a memorial to a former vicar, by the late Rev. Edward Peek M.A. sometime rector of Rousdon, who also presented a fine piece of tapestry, dating from about 1490: it is supposed to represent the marriage of Henry VII. and Elizabeth of York, and now hangs on the west wall; in 1685 the church was entirely re-seated, the floor re-laid and a vestry added, at a cost of £2,500: there are sittings for 300, all free and unappropriated except the Corporation and manor pews.
Lyme Regis was in Axminster Registration District from 1837 to 1936 and Bridport Registration District from 1936 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lyme Regis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1889
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Lyme Regis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.