Long Burton, Dorset
Long Burton, a parish, with a village, in Dorsetshire, 2½ miles S by E of Sherborne station on the L. & S.W.R. There is a post office under Sherborne; money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 1041; population of the civil parish, 330; of the ecclesiastical, with Holnest, 448. Limestone for building is quarried. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Holnest annexed, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £200 with residence. The church contains monuments of the Fitzjames family, and was restored in 1873. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parish council consisting of five members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Burton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1589. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. James the Great (parish church)
The parish church of St. James the Great is a building of stone consisting of chancel with aisle, nave, south porch, north aisle and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells, rehung in 1902 at a cost of about £70: the church contains several monuments to the Fitzjames family, and was restored in 1873, with the addition of the north aisle, at a cost of £1,437: the chancel aisle is Jacobean, the tower Early English, and the rest of the church Perpendicular: several of the windows are stained: there are sittings for 200.
Long Burton was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Burton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton, Long (St. James))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Burton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.