Lillington, a parish in Dorsetshire, 3 miles SSW of Sherborne station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 1830; population, 167. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £180. The church is a small building in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lillington St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1698. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Martin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Martin is a small building of stone partly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 4 bells : there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Lillington was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lillington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lillington (St. Martin))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Lillington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.