Langton Herring, Dorset
Langton Herring, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village is 1 mile from the Chesil beach, from which it is separated by a narrow breakwater, 3 miles from Abbotsbury station, and 2 ½ from Portesham station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Weymouth; money order and telegraph office, Abbotsbury. Acreage of parish, 974; population, 207. Fishing is largely carried on. There is a coastguard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £70 with residence. The church is ancient, has a low square tower, and has been enlarged.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Weymouth (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1682. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The parish church of St. Peter, restored early in the 19th century, is a small edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and low embattled western tower, containing 2 bells: there are two stained windows, and the church affords 90 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Langton Herring was in Weymouth Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langton Herring from the following:
Online maps of Langton Herring are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.