Kingstone or Kinson, Dorset
Kingstone or Kinson, a village in Dorsetshire. It stands on the river Stour, 1 ¾ mile W of the boundary with Hants, and 5 miles ESE of Wimborne station on the S.W.R., is a considerable place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wimborne. Acreage, 5340; population of the civil parish, 7295; of the ecclesiastical, 3565. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £280 with residence. Patron, Lord Wimborne. The church is a Norman building of stone restored in 1894. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. At Newtown is a small hospital opened in 1889. The church of St John the Evangelist at Kinson Heath was erected in 1881; it is a plain brick building in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage; net value, £85. Patron, Lord Wimborne. The church of St Clement's, Newtown, was built in 1889, and is in Early English. St Mark's, in Talbot village, was built in 1870 by Miss Talbot, who founded the village. It contains a beautiful font which was dug up in the river Tiber. The tower has a fine clock and a peal of bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.