Iwerne Steepleton, Dorset
Iwerne Steepleton or Preston, a small village in Dorsetshire, on the rivulet Iweme, 2 ½ miles E of Shillingstone station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3 ½ NW of Blandford Forum. Post town, Iwerne Minster. A stud farm is situated at this place for the rearing of thoroughbred horses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1755. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is a small edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, without either tower or steeple: there is a Norman chancel arch: the chancel retains a piscina and there are four stained windows, two of which are memorials to Horace 6th and last Baron Rivers, who died 31 March, 1880: there are 60 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.