Hazelbury Bryan, Dorset

Historical Description

Haselbury Bryan, a parish in Dorsetshire, near an affluent of the river Stour, 5 miles SW of Sturminster Newton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 120 from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Blandford. Acreage, 2415; population, 648. Most of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £367 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is of the 15th century, has a square tower with a peal of five bells. The chancel was restored in 1893. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an alms-house, and an estate of 21 acres in the hands of trustees, letting for about £60 yearly, the donor of which is not known. The rent is applied for the relief of persons needing help, but not in receipt of poor-law aid. The Duke of Northumberland takes from this place the title of Baron Bryan.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Hundred Pimperne
Poor Law union Sturminster (1835-)
Registration district Sturminster
Registration sub-district Sturminster

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1562. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

We have transcribed the Marriages at Haselbury Bryan, 1837-1886


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary and St. James (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary and St. James, dating from 1397, but erected on the site of a much earlier structure, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: there is some extremely ancient and interesting stained glass in the windows of the north aisle and chancel, and on the chancel roof are shields bearing the arms of the families of Bryan, Montacute, Neville, Lucy and Percy: the chancel was restored and fitted with new seats in 1895, and in 1904 the church was restored at a cost of £2,000: there are 340 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Hazelbury Bryan was in Sturminster Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hazelbury Bryan from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Hazelbury Bryan are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.