Gussage All Saints, Dorset
Gussage All Saints, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 ½ miles WSW of Cranborne, and 5 from Verwood station on the L. & S.W.R. It includes Mannington hamlet, and has a post office, of the name of Gussage, under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, St Giles. Acreage, 2473; population of the civil parish, 354; of the ecclesiastical, 413. The land is mostly arable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Dorset. There is a national school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gussage All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Cranborne (1835-1836)|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1560. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints, a building of flint and stone in the Early Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower, with crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock provided in 1902, and 5 bells, a new bell being added in 1895: the tower was restored in 1902; a stained window was erected in 1909 to the memory of the Rev. Charles Richard William Waldy, vicar here in 1857: the chalice dates from the reign of Queen Elizabeth : the church was restored about 1865, and affords 270 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Gussage All Saints was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gussage All Saints from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Gussage All Saints are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.