Eastbury, a tithing in Tarrant-Gunville parish, Dorsetshire, 5 miles NNE of Blandford Forum. Eastbury Park here belonged to George Bubb Dodington, afterwards Lord Melcombe ; passed to Earl Temple, and now belongs to the Farquharson family. A mansion, after designs by Vanbrugh, was erected on it by Dodington at a cost of £140,000, was visited by several distinguished literati as frequent guests, was sung by the poets Thomson and Young, and was demolished, on account of the cost of keeping it in repair, by Earl Temple.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eastbury from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.