East Orchard, Dorset
Orchard, East, a parish in Dorsetshire, on an affluent of the river Stour, 4 miles from Sturminster station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 4 ½ SSW of Shaftesbury. Post town, Shaftesbury. Acreage, 839; population of the civil parish, 166; of the ecclesiastical, 226. The living is a vicarage, united with Margaret Marsh, in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Iwerne Minster. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shaftesbury (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1783. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Thomas (parish church)
The parish church of St. Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret, containing one bell: the church will seat 150 people.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
East Orchard was in Shaftesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Orchard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.