Clifton Maybank, Dorset
Clifton-Maybank, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the river Ivel, near the river Yeo, 1½ mile W of Yeovil Junction station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4¼ miles WSW of Sherborne. Post town, Yeovil; money order and telegraph office, Yeovil. Acreage, 1296; population, 80. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Bradford-Abbas, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is in ruins.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clifton-Maybank All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Baptisms, marriages and burials are included within the parish registers of Bradford Abbas, which commence in 1579. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Clifton Maybank was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clifton Maybank from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clifton-Maybank (All Saints))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Clifton Maybank are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.