Charlton Marshall, Dorset
Charlton-Marshall, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the river Stour, near the Blandford railway, 2 miles S of Blandford-Forum. It has a post office under Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Spettisbury. Acreage, 2300; population, 569. Roman coins have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Spettisbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The interior of the church contains monuments to the memory of Dr. Sloper, who restored the church in 1713. There are also tablets to the memory of members of the Bastard family. The poor children in this parish participate in the benefit of a free education at Spettisbury endowed school. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1835-)|
|Registration sub-district||Milton Abbas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1576. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1713, is a building of stone and flint, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock, presented in 1911 by the Rev. S.A. Walker M.A. and 4 bells: the lofty pulpit is of oak inlaid, and has a canopy of similar character, surmounting which is a gilt pelican. There are monuments to the Rev. Dr. Sloper, d. 1727, and tablets to the Bastard family: the church was restored in 1895 at a cost of £770, and during the progress of the work several previously hidden arches were disclosed: the church affords 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Charlton Marshall was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlton Marshall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Charlton Marshall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.