Charborough, a hamlet in Morden parish, Dorsetshire, on an affluent of the river Stour, 6 miles W of Wimborne-Minster. It was formerly a separate parish, and it still ranks as a rectory, in the diocese of Salisbury. Charborough House, formerly the seat of the Erles, now the seat of the Draxes, has on the ceiling of the staircase a painting of the Judgment of Paris by Thornhill, and the park contains a small building in which the revolution of 1688 was concerted, and a conspicuous obelisk.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Charborough St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Charborough (St. Mary))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.