Caundle Marsh, Dorset
Caundle Marsh, a parish in Dorsetshire, 3 ½ miles S of Milborne Port railway station, and 4 SE of Sherborne, which is the post town. Acreage, 950; population, 93. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £105 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Caundle-Marsh St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1704. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The parish church of SS. Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1857, is a small stone building, consisting of a chancel, nave, and central turret containing one bell: there are two stained windows, each of three lights, one to the members of the Auber family, the other to the late Mr. Wilmot: there are 70 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Caundle Marsh was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Caundle Marsh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Caundle Marsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.