Catherston Lewston, Dorset

Historical Description

Catherston-Lewston, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the river Char, 3 miles NE of Lyme-Regis, and 6½ WNW of Bridport railway station. It has a post office under Charmouth, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 245; population, 21. Catherston was the seat of Judge Jeffreys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £61. The church was rebuilt in 1858, and contains some beautiful stained glass windows.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury
Ecclesiastical parish Catherston-Lewston St. Mary
Hundred Whitchurch Canonicorum
Poor Law union Bridport (1836-)
Registration district Bridport
Registration sub-district Whitchurch Canonicorum

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1837. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

The register appears to have been kept with that of Wootton Fitzpaine until December, 1837, but some portions have been lost.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary, erected in 1858 at the sole expense of the late Robert Charles Hildyard esq. on the ancient site, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consists of chancel and nave, and a western turret containing one bell, brought from Sebastopol: the whole of the windows are stained; there are 50 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Catherston Leweston was in Bridport Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Catherston Lewston from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Catherston Lewston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.