Burlestone, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the river Piddle, 4 miles NNW of Moreton railway station, and 6 ENE of Dorchester. Post town, Piddletown, under Dorchester. Acreage, 366 ; population, 78. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Athelhampton, in the diocese of Salisbury.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1692. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The old church, with the exception of the chancel, which was restored and reroofed in 1910 at the expense of George Wood Homer esq. of Bardolf Manor, has been pulled down. The inhabitants attend the church at Athelhampton.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Burleston was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burlestone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.