Buckland Newton, Dorset
Buckland-Newton or Buckland-Abbas, a parish and a hundred in Dorsetshire. It contains six tithings (Buckland, Duntiphe, Brockhampton, Knoll, Little Minterne, and Plush). The parish lies 3½ miles NE by N of Cerne-Abbas, and 6 E by N of Evershot railway station, and includes a village, which formerly was the seat of a market. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorchester. The civil parish comprises 6250 acres; population, 873. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Plush, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £235 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The parish church has an Early English cliancel and Perpendicular nave and aisles. The chancel was restored in 1870, and the remainder of the building in 1878. There are also Baptist, Congregational, and Primitive Methodist chapels. Plush church is a neat structure of 1848, and was partially restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buckland-Newton Holy Rood|
|Poor Law union||Cerne (1835-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1569. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
The Holy Rood (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Rood is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 6 bells: there is a brass tablet, erected in 1624 , to Thomas Barnes; a marble tablet to --- Fitz-Roy esq. 1781, and his widow, Elizabeth (the builder of Castle Hill mansion), who died in 1806, and a curious carved oak almsbox on a pedestal: the chancel was restored in 1870, and the nave in 1879, at a total cost of £2,600: there are 280 sittings.
Buckland Newton was in Cerne Registration District from 1837 to 1838, Dorchester Registration District from 1838 to 1937, and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buckland Newton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Buckland-Newton (Holy Rood))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Buckland Newton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.