Broad Mayne, Dorset
Broad Mayne or Main-Martel, a parish in Dorsetshire, 4 miles SE of Dorchester, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 997; population, 479. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory of West Knighton in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St Martin. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. The industry is chiefly agricultural; there are also brickfields in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1663. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Martin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Martin, standing in the centre of the village, is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and south tower containing one bell: the entrance is through the base of the tower: there are 190 sittings.
Photo © Emma Batty-Smith
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Broad Mayne was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broad Mayne from the following:
Online maps of Broad Mayne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.