Bradpole, a parish in Dorsetshire, 1 mile NE of Bridport station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bridport, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1007 ; population, 1641. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of St Andrew, in the diocese of Salisbury ; net value, £189 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The parish church is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, North aisle, chancel, vestry, and tower, with spire. St Andrew's Chapel is in the Early Decorated style. The Bridport workhouse is In Bradpole. There is a village reading-room and library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradpole Holy Trinity|
|Hundred||Beaminster Forum and Redborne|
|Poor Law union||Bridport (1836-)|
|Registration sub-district||Burton Bradstock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1695. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Bradpole, 1695-1812 is online.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, rebuilt in 1845-6, is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a tower with spire containing 8 bells: the carved stone pulpit was given by Alexander M. Broadley esq. in 1888: all the windows are stained and include two erected as memorials to the late Canon Broadley, vicar 1844-94: there are brasses to the late Mrs. Broadley and W.A. Hart esq. M.V.O.: the vestry was built in 1897, from the designs by Mr C.E. Ponting F.S.A. to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the accession of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, and in the same year a wrought iron and bronze chancel screen was erected, and the chancel arch and chancel decorated with mural paintings, executed at a total cost of £1,400, defrayed by A.M. Broadley esq.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Bradpole was in Bridport Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradpole from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1889
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Online maps of Bradpole are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.