Bothenhampton, a parish in Dorsetshire, adjacent to the river Brit, and 1 mile from Bridport station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bridport, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 837; population of the civil parish, 490; of the ecclesiastical, 493. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £97 with residence. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bothenhampton Holy Trinity|
|Liberty||Lothers and Bothenhampton|
|Poor Law union||Bridport (1836-)|
|Registration sub-district||Burton Bradstock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1725. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Bothenhampton, 1636-1812 is online.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The new church of the Holy Trinity, standing on an eminence about a mile from West Bay, and erected in 1880, is a building in the Early English style, from designs by Mr Edward S. Prior, architect of London, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: the marble font was presented as a memorial to Henrietta Jane Brown, d. 1887: the stained east window is a memorial to Sir M.H. Nepean bart. d. 13 March, 1895, Lady Nepean, d. 17 March, 1895, and Mr Alderman Hounsell: there are sittings for 225.
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The old church of the Holy Trinity is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an embattled tower, but is now used only as a mortuary chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Bothenhampton was in Bridport Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bothenhampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bothenhampton (Holy Trinity))
- Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1889
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Bothenhampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.