Bindon, a hamlet in Wool parish, and a liberty in Cerne, Wareham, and Wimbome divisions, Dorsetshire. The hamlet lies on the river Frome, ½ a mile E of Wool station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 miles W by S of Wareham. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1172 by Robert de Newburgh; was given at the dissolution to Thomas, Lord Poynings; descended to the Earl of Suffolk; and was sold to the family of Weld. The remains of it, in foundation walls of the church, have been cleared out, and include part of the tomb of one of the abbots; and some features of the grounds connected with it, in canals, fish ponds, and shady walks amid thick woods, have been restored to their original state. The materials of the buildings were carried off for the construction of Lulworth Castle, the seat of Lords Suffolk and the Welds. Bindon Hill, in the vicinity, towards the coast, has sand cliffs, succeeded by precipices. The area and population are included in Wool.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.