Badbury, a tithing in Dorset. The tithing is in Wimborne-Minster parish, 4½ miles NW of Wimborne. An ancient camp here, called Badbury Rings, crowns a naked hill; commands an extensive panoramic view; is planted with firs; consists of three concentric ramparts, each with an outer ditch, the outermost a mile in circumference; occurs on the line of a Roman road to Old Sarum; seems to have been originally British, but to have been afterwards occupied by both the Romans and the Saxons; and was held by Edward the Elder after the death of Alfred the Great.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.