For description see Bridport
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Allington St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Bridport (1836-)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the following census returns for Allington:
The parish register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1570 and earlier, but the early entires of burials are in the Bridport register.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Allington, 1570-1812 is online.
Church of England
St. Swithin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Swithin, at Allington, was erected in 1827 and is a plain rectangular building in the Classic style, affording 500 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Allington was in Bridport Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Allington (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.