Transcript of the description for West Compton from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
WEST COMPTON or Compton Abbas, a village 7 miles N.E. from Bridport. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and the living is a rectory. The parish contained, in 1841, 91 inhabitants. DIRECTORY - Bird John, dairyman. Davis Joseph, farmer. Guppey John, dairyman.