Transcript of the description for Upway from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

UPWAY, a village 4 miles S.W. from Dorchester, and 4 N. from Weymouth, situated in a delightful vale, well sheltered from the north-east and westerly winds by a mountainous chain, called Ridgway hills; while at the south it lies open to receive the soft marine breezes from that quarter. Here is the source of the river Wey, which gushes out from a cross fracture in the Portland beds of stone. The church (St. Lawrence) is an edifice in the Gothic style; here is an Independent chapel and a National School. The parish contains about 650 inhabitants. Post. Office, at Joseph Townsend's. Letters arrive at 5 a.m. and are despatched at 8 30 p.m.

Barling Rev. Stephen (Independent minister)
Buckle Archdeacon, (rector)
Devenish William, esq,
Goodden Henry Charles, esq. Upway house
Groves Lieut. John, R.N.
Sherren Mrs.
Thresher John Hardy, esq.
Wood Mrs.
Bowditch Francis, grocer, &c.
Bowditch Thomas, baker
Bushrod James, 'Ship,' Ridgway
Collins George, tailor
Cox James, blacksmith
Fuller George, engineer
Gill Charles, dairyman
Groves Edmund, beer retailer
Groves Richard, grocery, &c. dlr.
Hardy Henry, tailor
Hartnell Thomas, carpenter
Hopkins John Culliford, miller
Humphris Thomas, beer retailer
Hurden John, shoemaker
National School, Emery James, master; Emery Hannah, mistress
New Robert, blacksmith
Newberry Reuben, nurseryman
Noake Israel, farmer
Roper John, builder
Thomas Charles, farmer
Watters Jethro, grocery dealer
White George, bricklayer
Whittle Charles, shoemaker