Transcript of the description for Sturminster Marshall from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
STURMINSTER MARSHALL, a village 6 miles S.E. from Blandford, and 4 miles N.W. from Wimborne. The church is an antique structure, the living being a vicarage in the gift of Eton College: here is an Independent Chapel, and an endowed public school. The parish comprises 3839 acres, and contained in 1841, a population of 902. Post Dffice, at Henry Legg's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m. and are despatched at 4 30 p.m.
Andrews Mrs. Rachel
Harris George, esq. Higher Henbury
Irving Rev. Matthew, D.D. Bailey
Parke Charles, esq. Lower Henbury
Adams Henry, boot and shoemaker
Adams Joseph, dairyman
Ames Charles, grocer and draper
Ayles Henry, grocer and baker
Bailey John, grocery, &c. dealer
Barnes Charles, grocer, &c.
Bartlett John, beer retailer, Newton
Budden George, brickmaker
Bull Ann, grocer
Bull John, farmer
Carter George, farmer
Carter John, saddler
Care Edward Wm. farmer, Almer
Charity School, Legg Laura and Budden Sarah, mistresses
Crabb Rebecca, beer retailer
Eaton Joseph, shoemaker
Everett John, bricklayer, Newton
Everett Thomas, bricklayer
Foot James, farmer
Foot John, blacksmith
Hoddinott James, farmer, Coomb Almer
Jeffery John, dairyman
Legg Ahuzzath, farmer
Legg Andrew, grocer and draper
Legg Andrew, jun. carpenter
Legg Henry Norton, farmer, Henbury
Legg Herbert, farmer
Legg Joseph, parish clerk
Legg Ruth, grocery, &c. dealer
Little William, 'Black Horse'
Martin Wm. farmer, Moor court
Oxford John, blacksmith
Phillpotts Thomas, farmer, Coomb Almer
Pike John, butcher
Purton William, boot & shoemaker
Rabbitt William, dairyman
Randle William, 'Red Lion'
Short Reuben, grocer, &c.
Talbot John, farmer
Tappenden Edward, farmer
Tory James, farmer, Newton house
Westley William, boarding school
CARRIER to Poole, Stephen Rose, Mon. and Thurs.