Transcript of the description for Stratton from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
STRATTON, a village 3½ miles N.W. from Dorchester, on the high road to Maiden Newton. The church is a plain building, with a square tower, and the living is a curacy, united with that of Charminster. About a mile east of the village is Wrackleford house, the seat of the lady of the manor, Mrs. Pattison. The parish comprises 1300 acres, and had in 1841, 331 inhabitants. Post Office, at John Brown's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and are despatched at 7 30 p.m.
Brown Mr. James
Furber Mr. Edward
Pattison Mrs. Wrackleford house
Allen John, blacksmith
Bowring William, carpenter
Bowring Thos. beer retlr.
Grimstone Brett David, farmer
Brown John, grocer, farmer, &c.
Brown William, tailor
Chick Thomas, farmer
Crocker Jonathan, dairyman, Grimstone
Davis John, 'Bull Inn'
Green Mark, maltster
Green William, miller and baker
Legg John, farm bailiff
Pardey William, miller and farmer and 'Royal Yeoman,' Grimstone
Shepherd Wm. boot & shoemaker
Sprackling Joseph, parish clerk
Stevens John, butcher
White Thomas, boot & shoemaker, Grimstone
Willis Thomas, farmer