Transcript of the description for Spetisbury from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
SPETISBURY, a village 3 miles S.S.E. from Blandford. The church (St. John the Baptist) is an ancient edifice, surmounted with an embattled tower, the living is a rectory. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, and the Roman Catholics have here a convent. The parish comprises 2790 acres, and had, in 1841, 654 inhabitants. Post-office at Robert Sime's. Letters arrive at 6 45 a.m., and are despatched at 6 15 p.m.
Baskett Mr. Robert
Pryor Rev. Richard Vickris, (rector)
Abbott William, beer retailer
Ames George, tailor
Ames Martin Frampton, beer retlr.
Clarke Sarah and Emily, butchers
Coffin Mary, (Mrs.) grocer, &c.
Dean George, grocery, &c. dealer
Gillingham John, veterinary surg.
Groves Stephen, farmer
Hunt Robert, grocer and draper
Keynes George, farmer
Knight Benjamin, bricklayer
Knight George, bricklayer
Lidford Richard, farmer
Little William, farmer
Mackerell William Tory, farmer
Manuel Harriet, mistress of National School
Oates Susanna, beer retailer
Rabbetts Josiah, baker
Sampson Henry, carpenter, &c.
Shorey Robt. boot and shoe maker
Simes Michael, boot and shoe mkr.
Stroud Henry Valentine, miller
Thorne William, 'Drax's Arms'
Young James, saddler