Transcript of the description for Shillingstone from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

SHILLINGSTONE, CHILLINGSTONE, or SHILLING OKEFORD, a village 5½ miles N.W. from Blandford and 4 E. from Sturminster-Newton. The church (Holyrood) is a plain building, with a lofty tower, is in the early English style, the living of which is a rectory. The parish comprises 2167 acres, and in 1841 had a population of 512.

Post Office, at Elizabeth Wareham's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and are despatched at 7 p.m.

Day Rev. Edw. Arthur, B.D. rector
Jacob Col. George Thompson
Ames James, tailor
Broad James, farmer
Cox Henry, farmer
Cox James, farmer
Dominy John, farmer
Drake Thomas, farmer
Gillingham Jesse, farmer
Gould Thos. boot and shoemaker
Hunt James, grocery, &c. dealer
Ingram Frederick, miller
Mason Thomas, grocery, &c. dealer
Melmoth William, carpenter
Morris James, farmer
Osborn James, farmer
Paine Charles, parish clerk
Sedlen Thomas, farmer
Stephens George, blacksmith
Stickland William, 'Ox'
Stone James, blacksmith
Warren William, carpenter