Transcript of the description for Puncknowle from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
PUNCKNOWLE, a village 6¼ miles S.S.E. from Bridport, and 10 W. from Dorchester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and the living a rectory, united to that of Bexington. The parish comprises 1,831 acres, and had in 1841, 425 inhabitants.
Estridge Rev. John Julius, M.A. (rector)
Freame Miss, Mary
Cheney James, farmer
Cheney Jas. beer retailer & blacksmith
Cheney Joseph, baker, &c.
Cox Bernard, farmer, Grove farm
Cox John, carpenter
Devenish Edmund, miller
Gray Henry, farmer
Hitchcock John, grocery dealer
Legg Benjamin, farmer, West Bexington
Northover Henry, grocery dealer
Slade James, dairyman
Stevens Richard, farmer
Thorner Mary, beer retailer
Trevett Henry, 'Bull Inn'
Wellman Alexander, farmer